As the weather turns grim and the colds and flus begin their seasonal rampage, there is just nothing better than a hot, warming bowl of Chinese soup. Full of nutrients and flavour, these soups are the perfect antidote to winter blues that you certainly won’t find at your local Chinese take-away!
This stock provides the basis of many delicious soups so it’s a good place to start to make an authentic and nourishing soup.
Superior stock or shang tang is a popular stock in Cantonese cuisine. It is a light flavoursome broth with a colour that resembles Chinese tea.
The Cantonese cooks add this stock to many dishes from shark fin soup to vegetable soup.
The recipe below makes about 10kg of this Chinese soup stock. Reduce the amount according to your needs.
3kg Pork leg/shoulder with bones
1kg Chinese ham
1kg chicken feet
150g dried scallops
50g dried longan 200g rock sugar
25g white peppercorns
20 litres water (preferably distilled)
- Chop the Chicken, Pork, Chinese ham, and Pork bones into big pieces
- Place them into a big pot, add water and parboil them
- Remove them and rinse thoroughly
- Place the meats into a big stock pot, add the distilled water, ginger and white peppercorns
- Bring to a boil and lower to medium heat
- Cook for 6 hours
- After 6 hours, add the dried longans and rock sugar
- Cook for another 2 hours
- If possible, strain the stock before use